National Autism Awareness Month

The life of an autistic person 🧩

By: Jeriel J.

In 2020, the CDC reported that approximately 1 in 54 children in the U.S. is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. What people think about an autistic person is sometimes that he or she who has autism is strange or needs to go somewhere where they keep crazy people.

Let me tell you, you don’t know the intelligence and heart of an autistic person. Just imagine, maybe that autistic person can play the piano beautifully or do math very well.  They may have an outstanding IQ or the spirit of a true leader. Sadly though, often people don’t get a chance to discover these talents. In fact, most of the time this autistic person is lonely, and does not have anyone to share this talent with. Most of the time they need someone.

Imagine this autistic person tries to get along with someone at school and that other person instead bullies that autistic person,  and everyone in the school laughs, hits, or says negative things to this autistic person. Imagine after school, this autistic person goes into his or her room and gets this deep feeling of stress and sadness.

In the school district of Nevada, there have been many cases of bullying a child or an adolescent with autism. I have seen this because when I was a  6th grader, at lunch,  I’d always keep seeing many 8th graders bully a girl with autism.  She´d be hurt and the 8th graders would call her names about her condition.

My explanation for my evidence is that when I see this issue of bullying the person needs help. The person that is bullying that autistic person does not understand what that autistic person is trying to say.  People bully because they do not like how the autistic person is acting and it’s heartbreaking.

The meaning of school is to be kind to others and be nice to others. Even though you don’t like that person, you have to be kind to others.

The people who have been bullied have killed themselves, acting not how they are inside. We need to help avoid that and it’s as simple as using your kindness to help.

If you are a bully, you have to stop with that anger and cruelty.

Stop the fighting and start acting like the people we can be. We are here to help the community of Las Vegas. We need to bring joy to our community with the help of everyone.

We have to treat others with respect and with kindness. Even if that person has autism or can’t talk, you should help them. Autistic people are smart and intelligent. They can help you too. You can make them your friends if they want. If not, at least just be kind.

Here are some links to check for more information to stop the bullying of autistic people:

Link´s to know about autism🧩